A longlist with suggestions for each level
Dutch public TV
There is this great website, www.npo.nl where you can watch any program produced and broadcasted by Dutch public television. I explicitly recommand documentaries and reality tv-shows, as unscripted tv, unlike drama series and movies, is closer to how people in real life express themselves: sloppier, with more expressions, hesitations, repetition, unfinished sentences and genuine emotion. It’s the real thing. All the below mentioned programs you can find on www.npo.nl, using the search option.
Important: Did you know you can watch all NPO programs with Dutch subtitles? Just press teletext 888 on your TV or click on the T in the online player and subtitles will appear realtime!
Tv-programs Beginners (suitable to watch with your children)
- Zandkasteel > childrens program with huge puppets living on a beach
- Sesamstraat > the good ol’ sesame street
- Kikker > cartoon about a melancholy frog and it’s friends
- Buurman&buurman > stop-motion show about two dexterous friends messing things up
- Pim en Pom > Cartoon about two naughty cats and a voice over.
- Woezel en Pip > Cartoon about dogs
- Koek en ei > Young children learn about nature with a forest ranger
- Ben en Holly’s > English TV program dubbed into Dutch
- Peppa Pig > If you can stand her.
- NOS Jeugdjournaal > the world news in easy and childfriendly language
- Freeks Wilde Wereld > Crazy biologist looks for amazing animals in the wild.
- Studio Snugger > Is it true or false? Common things explained for kids, who then have to guess whether it is true or false.
- Klaas kan alles > Dutch dude gets impossible assignments and tries to defy all laws of nature.
- Knofje > Beautifully designed and styled program about a little girl and her family, seen through the eyes of a 4 year old.
- Buitendienst > A hilarious show for older kids on the functionings of nature
- Onze man in Teheran > A Dutch reporter living in Teheran shows us the peculiarities of Iranean society
- Taarten van Abel > A show in which children decorate a cake for someone special in their lives
- Ik Vertrek > Reality TV. Dutch families leave behind everything to start a new life somewhere else. But before they find their expected hapiness, many things go wrong
- Hoe haal ik de 100? > With the support of a group of doctors and a dietitian, people with chronic illnesses like diabetes try to change their lifestyle.
- Katja’s Bodyscan > An popsci program that uses the newest scientific insights to explains how fear works, how our body ages, how you can trick your brain
- Baby Te Huur > Reality TV > Young couples experience what it means to be a parent when they take care of a baby for a few days.
- All Inclusive > Reality TV. Single moeders en vaders gaan met hun tienerkinderen naar een resort in Turkije om de liefde te vinden.
- Metropolis > A hilarious program that interviews common people from all over the world on topics like love, sexuality, food, family.
- Amor met een snor > A Dutch reporter living in Mexico travels through Latin America to find out more about the role of love, music, family, and machismo in society.
- Keuringsdienst van Waarde > Reporters try to pin through the marketing bubbles of the food industry and discover what our food really is made of. Funny and interesting.
- Ali B op Volle Toeren > Beautiful program where young Dutch musicians meet up with the older generation to create something new. An interesting insight in Dutch culture and the changing society.
- Mocro of Kaaskop > A Moroccan Dutchie digs deep to find out who he really is, Dutch or Moroccan. Or something in between?
- De Wereld Draait Door > A talkshow about news topics, with various guests
- Zondag met Lubach > A humoristic perspective on the news and Dutch society.
- 3Doc > Documentaries on various topics, like music, politics, human interest
- A’dam en E.V.A > Funny and realistic drama serie that takes place in Amsterdam, about a girl and a boy falling in love in spite of life.
- VPRO Tegenlicht > Behind the news: insights and backgrounds.
- Verborgen Verleden > People learn more about their ancestors and where their roots lie by digging deep into the family tree. With interesting results!